GIRONA VS REAL MADRID PREDICTION
Real Madrid this Thursday travel to Girona to conclude their Copa del Rey Quarter-Final tie. The competition now represents Real’s best chance of silverware this term with a league title shot still looking a seriously outside bet.
Girona meanwhile have had tough month with this their fifth game against one of Spain’s big three. They eliminated Atletico Madrid on away goals in the last round but were on the wrong end of a 2-0 home defeat against Barcelona at the weekend. It was a decent performance having created several chances but saw their hopes significantly reduced when centre-back Bernardo Espinosa was dismissed early in the Second Half.
Girona has a 2 goal deficit when they take on Real Madrid at Estadi Montilivi.They are 4-2 up in this tie from the 1st Leg but those two Girona away goals do ensure Real still have work to do here. It will be attack from the very onset. So, we really don’t see any of the sides defending. Desperation for early goals will leave Girona very exposed at the back against a counter attacking Real Madrid side. Madrid also know that they have to finish off this opposition with those vital away goals and cannot afford to underestimate a Girona side that got 2 goal at the Bernabeu.
- In the Copa del Rey there have been over 2.5 goals scored in 16 of Real Madrid’s last 19 games.
- Real Madrid have scored at least 4 goals in their last 3 matches against Girona in all competitions.
- Girona have seen over 2.5 goals in their last 4matches against Real Madrid in all competitions.
- Girona this season average scored 1.49 goals per match. In 12 (75.00%) matches played at home was total goals (team and opponent) Over 1.5 goals. In 7 (43.75%) matches in season 2019 played at home was total goals (team and opponent) Over 2.5 goals.
- Real Madrid have only won the Copa del Rey twice in 26 years (2011 & 2014).
- 7 of Girona’s last 8 games have seen both teams score.
- Real Madrid have a 76% win ratio under Santi Solari in all competitions and have only drawn 1 of their 21 games under him.
Eusebio indicated Girona would make many changes here. That should see the likes of Lozano, Muniesa and Douglas Luiz rotate in.
Real Madrid are expected to rotate slightly from their league game with Gareth Bale, Dani Ceballos and Marcos Llorente in line for starts. Sergio Ramos has been rested due to a minor knock.
Real Madrid are the clear favourites to win on the night and they look well capable of doing that. Girona boss Eusebio made it clear his priority was La Liga, speaking after his side’s defeat to Barcelona in which he strongly hinted at widespread changes here.We expect Real Madrid to win here but a fight back from Girona Is also expected.
Prediction: Girona 1 Real Madrid 2
Betting tip: Both teams to score/Over 2.5 goals