FIFA WORLD CUP QUALIFICATIONS
SWITZERLAND VS NORTHERN IRELAND
- Switzerland were favorites to qualify for the World Cup in Russia next summer even before the first leg was played, after Ricardo Rodriguez’ second half penalty sealed a 1-0 win that should not have been awarded .
- Northern Ireland have to secure a win by two or more goals as will qualify for their first World Cup since 1986.
- Switzerland have won all of their six home games since Euro 2016 ended, keeping a clean sheet in five of those matches.
- Northern Ireland have lost their last three matches now , and away from home have failed to score in three of their five games(60%) since their Euro 2016 campaign came to an end.
HEAD TO HEAD
- This will be the fifth meeting between these two countries,Switzerland and Northern Ireland having each won two, drawn one, and lost two of their five previous encounters.
- Last time out, a while ago playing against Switzerland, they lost 1-0 .
- Steven Zuber and Denis Zakaria was prefered over Admir Mehmedi and Remo Freuler respectively in the first leg and after a good display changes are not foreseen.
- Fabian Schar was booked for Switzerland but having already served a suspension in qualifying he is free to play the second leg.
- Gareth McAuley, Jonny Evans, and Chris Brunt are expected to start at the back again, with Steven Davis captain for the visitors ahead of the back four and Kyle Lafferty leading the line up front.
- Corry Evans was booked for the handball that wasn’t in the first leg for Switzerland earning a suspension in the process. George Saville replaced Corry Evanson onThursday and is in line to step into the starting XI.
- Stuart Dallas picked up a knock following a challenge in the first leg and is a doubt, with Jamie Ward in line to replace the him.
- Switzerland to win at 1.47 Sportpesa odds