NEWCASTLE VS MANCHESTER CITY
This will be Pep Guardiola 100th Premier League game in charge as Manchester City ’s manager as he goes ahead to be hosted by NewCASTLE. He’s won 73 of his 99 so far (D15 L11). Rafael Benitez, meanwhile Newcastle teamhas lost eight league games at home already.
Manchester City’s title chase takes them to St James’ Park on Tuesday, as they look to maintain their excellent run of form after beating Burnley 5-0 at the Etihad in the FA Cup.
While Newcastle are struggling near the bottom of the table, the former Real Madrid and Liverpool boss knows how to organize his team when the big teams visit..
A 2-0 loss at home to Watford dumped Newcastle out of the FA Cup, that came after they narrowly edged past Championship side Blackburn. Newcastle are now left to focus on their league campaign, which sees them in 17th, two points clear of the relegation zone. Despite being fourth bottom in the league, Newcastle are the 19th wealthiest club in world football, according to the Deloitte Money League. Despite that, they can’t seem to make a signing to boost their survival hopes.
· Manchester City have taken 46 points from their last 48 available against Newcastle (W15 D1 L0), conceding only nine in that run.
· Newcastle have seen fewer than four goals in 100% of their home league games, while under 3.5 has landed in 73% of City’s away trips.
· Manchester City’s Sergio Aguero has scored 14 goals in his 12 Premier League appearances against Newcastle – more than any player has scored against an opponent for a single club in the competition’s history.
- In the Premier league, Manchester City are undefeated in 30 of their last 33 away matches.
- Manchester City have scored at least 2 goals in 6 of their last 7 matches keeping a clean sheet in 5 them against Newcastle in all competitions.
- Manchester City have scored at least 2 goals in 6 of their last 7 matches in the Premier League.
- Newcastle have not won in their last 22 Premier League games against Manchester City (D3, L19). It is both the Newcastle’s longest winless run and City’s longest unbeaten streak against a particular top-flight opponent.
Jonjo Shelvey Mohamed Diamé,Karl Darlow, Paul Dummett, and Ki Sung-yueng are all expected to miss out on Tuesday through injury. Yoshinori Muto is still on international duty.
A deal for Lazio left-back Jordan Lukaku collapsed over the weekend, adding to Rafa Benitez’s woes this month.
Fabian Schar and Florian Lejeune should both return to the starting XI against Manchester City after dropping to the bench over the weekend.
Manchester City left-back Benjamin Mendy is a doubt. He missed City’s last game after swollen knee following his comeback from injury at Burton.
Vincent Kompany is again unavailable because of a muscle problem that has ruled him out of the last six matches.
Leroy Sane, Raheem Sterling, Aymeric Laporte, Sergio Aguero and David Silva were all dropped to the bench at the weekend and at least four of them will start here.
It remains to be seen how Guardiola will accomodate both Silva’s, Kevin De Bruyne and Fernandinho in midfield.
Manchester City have the extra motivation of being able to reduce the gap to one point at the top of the table before Liverpool face Leicester on Wednesday, as the psychological part of the season hots up.
Manchester City has scored 28 goals in their past six matches, while Newcastle have taken all season to hit 25 in 27 games.
Prediction: Newcastle 0 Manchester City 2